July 3, 2009

Naturally Loved: Part Nine

Amazingly, I still get questions like "so what are you going to do with it" concerning my natural hair which I find quite funny because no one goes around asking people who have relatively straight hair this question. Inner strength is a must when embracing your kinks, coils and curls. You have to know exactly why you are doing it and having a plan will also help you through the stages you will encounter. When I first did my big chop I had a TWA (teeny weeny afro) and it was great for about 2 or 3 months. Than it started to grow and I had no clue what to do. I was cute with my TWA but as soon as that growth came I felt REAL lonely. I did twist which helped for awhile, I did braid extensions for a month at a time and than I would let my hair rest for a month and than put the extensions back in. I bought scarves, hats and that was basically all the styles I rocked. I never rocked fro-hawks, I wish I did back than and I didn't have any intricate styles. I tried to keep it as simple as possible.
Women who thirst for information concerning natural hair have a wealth of information, products and everyday inspirations like co-workers, friends, family and celebrities to reference when thinking about embracing their natural hair. It is to the point where sometimes it just smacks you in the face like an ad or article in a magazine discussing natural hair or television shows that are placing our hair at the forefront of national discussions.
When I first embraced my natural hair I had to seek the information and the Internet was my best friend for that. I found a wealth of information about products, techniques and individuals willing to give advise as to the different stages we encounter on this journey. I want to thank everyone that has assisted me in this journey, I am so grateful! My 3 year anniversary is coming up in September and I am so happy I made it this far, I am excited about the next three years of my natural journey.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Happy Growing,
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Natalie

No comments: