July 3, 2009

Bantu Knots VS Flat Twists (Bantu Knots Won)

I have been trying out flat twists for a few weeks as appose to my regular bantu knots and I've noticed a few differences. Flat twists are a little more cumbersome to set in the hair. It may be my technique, I two strand twist to the scalp like cornrows and use bobby pins or Goody Latex Bands to hold in place. I found I got breakage from this technique when undoing it after my hair had dried. Also, the back section of my hair always got too straight which didn't allow me to blend my hair into a cute curly 'fro as I usually do with my bantu knots.
My bantu knots work better for my hair texture. The hair at the back of my head has a looser curl pattern which may be why the bantu knots work better because it allows my roots to stay smooth but at the same time I can fluff my curls for extra body, and my hair still maintains texture. The bantu knots set better in my hair, I am able to catch just about every hair in my knots. Bantu knots give me more consistent results, sorry flat twist, you're just not giving me the results I want.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
To Set My Hair
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Step 1: Co-wash or shampoo and condition ( I use Nature's Gate Henna or Hemp conditioners or the Kiss My Face Big Body Shampoo & Conditioner)
**I like leaving about 25% of the conditioner in my hair when I rinse.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Step 2: Apply a quarter sized amount of a conditioner to each 6-8 large sections of soaking wet hair like Kiss My Face Big Body Conditioner (these large sections should be your guide when setting your hair)
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Step 3: Apply a quarter sized amount of shea butter to each individual bantu knot, smooth on the roots and than apply a smaller amount to length of hair , than set.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Step 4: Repeat step 3 until complete, let dry.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Step 5: Remove bobby pins or elastic bands and allow the bantu knots to fall. Apply a small amount of pomade or oil like Qhemet Biologics Amla Oil Nourishing Pomade to each twist, starting at the roots and working your way down to the ends. At this point you undo the twists gently and style as desired trying not to disturb the curl pattern.
**The pomade or oil that you use acts as a sealant and helps to keep the hair smooth when styling.

No comments: