April 2, 2009

Product Review: Kinky Curly Curling Custard & Knot Today

The Kinky Curly Curling Custard and the Kinky Curly Knot Today are definitely going to be in my rotation. First let me discuss the Curling Custard, the custard is slimy in consistency with a sweet candy scent that is a joy to apply to my hair. It contains all organic and natural ingredients and that is a great bonus. The Knot Today also has a sweet scent that reminds me of Summer, sun and fun, both of the products actually do. The slip on the Knot Today is nothing spectacular and for kinky and coily textures of hair that may knot easily or that is thick this is not the greatest detangler. What the Knot Today does is it acts as a light leave-in conditioner, somewhat like Giovanni Direct Leave-In but in my opinion the Knot Today is better. It also assist in the curly or coily of the hair allowing it to be prepared for the Curling Custard application.
I sectioned my hair into three parts one large section at the back and two sections at the front to sides like pigtails. I usually begin in the back, make sure your hair is VERY WET but not soaking wet, first I apply the Knot Today, about a diameter of a golf ball or a little smaller and distribute evenly. Comb your hair with a wide tooth comb to help with distributing the conditioner, this technique will also cause the curls to be defined and be ready for the Curling Custard application. Than in small sections within the large section you have already secured apply the Curling Custard, you can run your wide tooth comb through the small sections off hair again before apply the Curling Custard, repeat until complete.
I am being detailed in the application of these two products because it does take trial and error before you figure out what works for you. These are a few of the techniques I tried when I first got these products that didn't work:

Trying to do a shake and go: This technique entailed me doing a co-wash and just randomly applying the Curling Custard section by section and than shaking my head and finger styling my hair.

Applying a generous amount of product: The Curling Custard is deceiving, you only need about a nickle size to quarter sized amount for each small section. I once applied this product and my hair stayed SOAKING wet for days.

Using your Denman: I compared using my Denman to detangle verses my wide tooth comb and the wide tooth comb allowed my curls to hang more and clump. Okay, so as stated above you apply the Knot Today, detangle and than apply the Curling Custard. At this stage of applying the Curling Custard I brushed my hair with my Denman and the curls kind of shrank and no longer hanged the way they did before, you can try it and see if the Denman or wide tooth comb works better for you.

Substituting the Knot Today for a drug store conditioner as a leave in: I thought of this and said "why not?", well I noticed small white stuff all over my hair and a white film that would not disappear after applying the Curling Custard on top of my Herbal Essences conditioner. I usually leave enough conditioner in my hair that I can feel a slip and if I rub my hair while wet it will start to foam, this is too much conditioner left after a co-wash if using the Curling Custard. Rinse out as much as you can.

What I Think:

Curling Custard Performance: Consistent once you know what application works best for you, I really love this product. 2/2

Knot Today Performance: This is a light leave in conditioner that really helps to define my curls before applying the Curling Custard 1.5/2

Curling Custard Price: In Canada the price can range from 37.00 CDN to 40.00 CDN for 16 oz. Their is nothing like this on the market and you really don't need alot. I wouldn't mind picking this up every 6 months because I know its going to deliver. 2/2

Knot Today Price: 20.00 CDN to 22.00 CDN for an 8 oz bottle, this conditioner is okay and does what it is suppose to do when used with the Curling Custard. The reservation with this product is that aside from using with the Curling Custard I don't need it. I would love for it to have more slip so that I could feel comfortable using it year around and without the Curling Custard if I so please. You are just as good to use your Suave, Aussie, Herbal Essences, VO5, etc. than use the Knot Today as your leave-in. Save this stuff for the Curling Custard because you wont see any real difference with your hair when using your drugstore conditioners as appose to the Knot Today. 1/2

Curling Custard Ingredients: Botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic Aloe Vera Juice, Agave Nectar Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Pectin, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Natural Fragrance. 1/1

Knot Today Ingredients: Organic Mango Fruit Extract, Organic Slippery Elm, Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Lemongrass, Cetyle alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol and Natural Fragrance. 1/1

Kinky Curly Curling Custard 5/5 & Kinky Curly Knot Today 3.5/5

No comments: