October 19, 2009

Afterglow Cosmetics: Foundation in Clay & Lipstick

A Few months ago I made my way to HoneyFig to check out Afterglow Cosmetics. I wanted to try the mineral foundation as well as a lipstick. I was so happy with the personal service of HoneyFig and the time they spent helping me to pick out a shade. I settled on Sepia but when I got home I found it a bit too golden for my complexion and Marlene graciously allowed me to exchange it for Clay which has a little more red tones in it. I also got an Afterglow lipstick in Secret which curiously is not on the website (I have to contact them and ask them about their lip colours). After purchasing these two amazing products I drove to my local MAC store and got their 182 Brush which basically is a dense kabuki brush. The foundation is absolutely amazing. It is high quality, organic and free of harsh chemical ingredients. The 182 Brush really assisted in the blending of the foundation. I noticed it can look caked so I simply run my hands under water at my bathroom sink like I am washing them, dry them in my towel and than take my hands that are moist and press them evenly over my face to add moisture to the foundation. Than I lightly go over my face again with a very small amount of foundation using the 182 Brush again and voila! It sets well and feels like I'm not wearing any make up. I get compliments all the time, people don't exactly know what is different but I usually get "your face looks so bright and radiant."

Afterglow Foundation in Clay Ingredients:
mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891), iron oxide (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), citrus grandis (organic grapefruit) seed extract*, rosmarinus officinalis (organic rosemary) extract*, inulin, vitis vinifera (organic grape) seed extract*, simmondsia chinensis (organic jojoba) extract*

* certified organic ingredient


Afterglow Lipstick in Secret Ingredients:

simmondsia chinensis (organic jojoba) seed oil*, barbadensis (organic aloe) leaf gel*, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel*, cera alba (organic beeswax)*, candilla wax (wildcrafted), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), vitis vinifera (organic grape seed) extract*, punica granatum (organic pomegranate seed) extract; May contain [+/-] iron oxide (77491, 77492, 77492, 77499), mica, titanium dioxide (77891)

* certified organic ingredient


The lipstick is more of a creamy lip stain. It is full of pigment but because it is natural it absorbs into my lips which leaves a hint of colour from the Secret which is a deep rose-brown tone. I love this colour but when I wear it I apply it numerous times throughout the day. It comes off easily so if you are into long lasting lipsticks this isn't the one for you. If you prefer more natural ingredients and don't mind frequent applications than you may want to look at their lipsticks as an option.

The foundation does not cover deep scarring like department store brands like MAC or Make Up Forever. If you have acne or other types of scars than this will simply give minimal coverage while brightening your complexion. I see this foundation for people that like make up but want something that is natural looking, wont feel or looked caked and blends well into their skin and does not need medium to full coverage. If you want an easy to use foundation that has amazing ingredients it is worth checking out Afterglow Cosmetics. You can see most of the collection at HoneyFig in Toronto or you can visit them online at Afterglowcosmetics.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review. It is looks caked use MAC Fix + and mist it on your prior or after you apply the foundation.

Kate said...

Thanks for writing a review about natural and organic cosmetics! I use Afterglow too and I love it!I've never noticed the makeup caking on my face, but I bought one of Afterglow's kabuki brushes, which is vegan. You should try that instead of the MAC kabuki.

Also, my favorite lipstick is Lovely, it's a great light brown! You should try it!

Natalie said...

@Kate

Yes, I was going to try their Kabuki but they were sold out and the Lovely lipstick was what I wanted but they didn't have it in stock so I settled on the Secret. I definitely want to get my hands on it. Thanks for the info.