October 1, 2009

Naturally Loved: Part Twelve

What amazes me about this journey is how I have evolved and gained so much knowledge about who I am in the past four years. When I did my Big Chop I was in a different place in my life and when I look back I am amazed of who I've become. Our hair evolves as we evolve. When I first became natural I didn't really know what I was doing or where this journey would take me, it has been a beautiful journey. I am now aware of toxic ingredients in food, hair and skin care products,I have made significant changes to my diet and concerning my relationships they are much healthier.

Hair is linked to our emotions, how we feel about ourselves. Loving your natural hair says something to the world about you since our hair was castigated for so long as a way to create an inferiority complex among people of African descent with afro-textured hair. Even in 2009 their is still is a stigma attached to our hair. Allowing our hair to just be and growing as an individual along with people that 'get it' is so important when embracing our hair.

When I first did a big chop I use to wear scarves, to hide my hair. It wasn't a style I was sporting, I was hiding my hair because I was more concerned with what others would think about my hair texture. As I became more comfortable with myself I didn't care anymore. You may be at this point or have experienced what I'm telling you, either way it was a growing pain that I had to go through because of who I was 4 or 5 years ago. I believed in myself and I didn't let people deter me instead I challenged any snide remarks and didn't care what people thought.


This journey is about you and you will discover so much things about yourself that will amaze you. You will attract new types of individuals into your life and your perspective on life will change, mine has. Enjoy this journey and make the most of your growing phase!


Happy Growing,



Natalie

No comments: