November 6, 2009

Naturally Loved: Part Thirteen

Over the past few weeks I have been thinking about how my hair has evolved throughout my life. My hair has grown, been cut, styled and grown again depending on my moods and styles of how I wanted to express myself. One thing that I can say that has been true for me is that it is so important to know yourself and be comfortable with who you are, and that includes your personal style. I like having my own style and my hair is a big part of that.

On another note, it amazes me how concerned people have become with my hair as I have become less in tune with what people think about it. My hair just is, its mine and that's about it, it's just hair. Yes it's beautiful, yes it's versatile and yes women of colour can have healthy natural hair.

I have been enjoying the weather as it has changed and I do feel a new leaf has turned in my journey. I am loving my hair and it is loving me back. Our hair is truly a reflection of who we are and where we are at in life. The most important thing I can tell a woman who has recently embraced her natural hair is to not care about what people say concerning your decision to wear your hair naturally. I am sure many people will be positive and will wish you well, the fact is that you must know that you are beautiful whether someone tells you so or not. You don't need someone to validate you. Once you get to that place no one can rain on your parade.

No comments: