February 18, 2009

Update: Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade

This review is so hard to do because I really wanted to like this product and still do. At this time I wont rate the product only list the ingredients. I will revisit it in a few weeks but I wanted all of you to know my experience with the Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade ... Yum, I just opened the jar to take a whiff of the scent.

"This pomade acts as a humectant and protectant for hair, increasing shine to a high glossy sheen and locking in moisture" (taken from the description on the jar). The Burnt Sugar does act as a humectant, which when I tried it was a little too much for my hair texture. I don't have coarse thick hair, its more fine to medium with a kinky curl pattern (4a/some 3c in the back). I did a test by placing the Burnt Sugar on a section of my hair, at the back where my edges are and went about my day to see how my hair would react. Okay, so my hair became thicker because of the oils and it also got knotted and refused to smooth down like the rest of edges, it was getting annoying but the whiffs of its scent kept me wanting it to work.

A few days later I pulled out the Burnt Sugar again and the Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey and did a comparison test. I platted two braids at the front of my head and smoothed each one with a product. The Burnt Sugar braid began to get frizzy while the Mimosa Hair Honey caused that braid to become even more smooth. I let both products sit on my hair for a few hours and than I undid both braids. The Burnt Sugar braid was frizzy, especially the ends and the braid out was not well defined. The Mimosa Hair Honey braid out was well defined, smoother and lacking frizz. I than slightly wet each braid and redid them for bed. The Burnt Sugar braid began to curl (no lie) and the Mimosa Hair Honey braid lay straight. I am going to try this product again, my only reservation is that it will make my entire head a tangled frizzy mess.

It is my opinion that the Burnt Sugar pomade is more suited for a coarser and thicker hair texture that absorbs oils like nobodies business and needs shrinkage to define curls, I was thinking more of a 4b to 4c or a mixture of all the 4 hair sub-categories. I also think the culprit ingredients causing all of the frizz is the unrefined hempseed oil and the mango seed oil because all of the other oils do well in my hair either when in a product or by themselves. Hempseed oil is heavy and so is mango ... We'll see.

Ingredients: Castor Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Mango Seed Oil, Olive Oil, Unrefined Hempseed Oil, Cocoa Butter, Broccoli Seed Oil, Fragrance & Love!

No comments: